Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Raise-a-Grade Certificates = Easy Reward

In my last post I told you about the Science Super Star system that I'm using this year in my classroom to recognize students who are doing well.  One of the rewards they receive when they earn a Super Star award is a Raise-a-Grade certificate.  I promised in that post that I would elaborate in a follow-up post, so here it is! :)

Early in my teaching career I was trying to come up with a way to reward students without having to spend a lot of money.  I remembered receiving Free Homework Passes when I was in school, but I'm not a fan of those because I don't assign much homework, but the homework I do assign has a purpose and so I want it to be completed.  I don't give many extra credit opportunities in my class, either (I know, harsh...right? LOL), but extra credit as a reward seemed like a great idea.  So I came up with the idea of a Raise-a-Grade certificate.  


Basically, a student can use one of these to raise his/her grade on any assignment of his/her choosing by 10%.  Most of my students have gotten smart about it and wait to use them on tests since tests are worth more points than homework or other assignments.  I only make it valid for a nine-week grading period, that way students can't save them and use them all on a test at the end of the year and receive 30-40% extra credit!  (I just know someone would try it!)

So there it is... a great, EASY, **FREE** classroom reward!

Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel!
    I just found your blog and love it! We both teach middle school science so I'll be back to grab some of your awesome ideas again soon. (I just joined as a follower!) Happy Blogging and Teaching :)
    Kate
    Kate's Classroom Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! So glad to have you as a follower! :) (I just signed up to follow your blog too... I'm always looking for great middle school science blogs!)

      Delete