Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

End-of-the-Year Advice

Oh my goodness, what a crazy end to the school year it was!  The last two months were pretty much a blur! It's hard to not feel overwhelmed with testing, field trips, projects, plus my own kids' activities (soccer x2, softball, teeball, and dance! Sheesh!) I had some really great end-of-the-year activities that I wanted to share with you, but to go back and write about it all now would also be a bit overwhelming. ;)  (Maybe next year! LOL)

So... now that school's out and I'm in summer mode, I thought I would take some time to share with you some things to do and think about as your own year comes to a close.

1) Buy a copy of your school yearbook and let your students sign it. I've done this every year since I started teaching and it's great to have little notes from them to go back and look at.  They absolutely love that I get in on the yearbook-signing action!

2) Have your students help you clean your classroom.  This one is a little difficult for me because I'm so particular about how things are taken down and stored.  However, my current classroom is the old chemistry room (our middle school is housed in the old high school building) and so there are like 200 storage drawers all around the room.  As you can probably imagine, students find those to be convenient hiding places and trash cans, so instead of going through them myself I have a class period or two help me clean them out.  Of course, I always reward them with whatever candy I have left over in my candy bucket. :)

3) Choose one area of your classroom in which to "clean house."  Last year I did my filing cabinets - I went through and threw out every file that I hadn't used in the past 3 or 4 years, and then I reorganized and relabeled files as needed.  It was great when I arrived in my room in August to a completely clean filing system!  This year I chose my storage room (which, as a science teacher, can be a daunting task because we're hoarders!  We. Keep. Everything. ... because you never know when you can use it for "something"!)  But I must say, having an organized storage area again is a great feeling.

4) Reflect and set goals for next year.  This one is SO important!  I spend a good part of June reflecting on what I liked and didn't like about the past year, and thinking about ways that I can change and improve for next year.  A teacher who doesn't self-reflect will quickly become stagnant.  My two main goals for next year are 1) to improve on a couple of the units I taught that I felt were rushed and a bit lacking in detail, and 2) to effectively work with my inclusion teacher to teach inclusion classes, which is something I haven't had to do for 6 years!  That will be quite an adjustment for me, so I'm actually taking a class this Friday on co-teaching with the hopes of learning some helpful hints on how to be effective in this area.

So I know this is a varied, almost random, list, but I hope it gives you some things to think about as your own year comes to a close!

Enjoy your summer!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment