Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Sing a Song of Science

I always try to incorporate a variety of learning styles into my lessons.  Walk into my room on any given day and you could see my 7th and 8th grade students creating foldables, drawing pictures, conducting experiments, writing poems and stories, and even singing.  Yes, I said singing.  Well, mostly just listening to songs.  I don't require that they sing, but they do need to listen and follow along with the lyrics.

What do we sing you ask?  Last year I happened across a most fabulous YouTube channel by a teacher named Mr. Parr.  He takes current songs and changes the lyrics to make them science-related.  His songs are amazing!  My students love listening to them, and several students have told me that they really help and have begged me to use more of them!  My 7th graders are currently working their way through their astronomy unit, so this week I used his Moon Phases song (set to the tune of Forget You by Cee Lo Green) and also the Tides song (set to the tune of The Other Side by Jason Derulo).

If you have trouble finding ways to teach to the musical learning style, I would highly recommend checking out Mr. Parr's YouTube channel!

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. It's so fun to read that there are other teachers out there doing the same thing I am. I switched from 8th grade to HS five years ago, but I always loved having my 8th graders write songs about science. If they agreed to perform for the class I would give them extra credit as well. Some of them get so into it - instruments and all. Have you seen They Might Be Giants CD/DVD "Here Comes Science"? If not, it's a great one to add to the list. I even use it with my senior Anatomy class and the video "The Bloodmobile" - great visual of all the things transported by the circulatory system.

    ReplyDelete